Monday, May 23, 2011

Graduation Reflections

So it is currently nearly five in the morning. And I have had one crazy awesome weekend! Well, I saw "Thor" on Friday with my family, which was great. I love spending time with my family, and "Thor" was just EPIC! And for the record, I'm gonna marry Thor. Yeah, he's a Norse god...I'll convert him! =) Well, on Saturday, I went to four graduation parties. My last post dealt with graduation parties, so I shall move on to Sunday.

Sunday, May 22, 2011.

I graduated from high school. I had a wonderful morning of Mass, a breakfast afterwards, and then a special luncheon at my house with my family and another close family. Then, I went to school for graduation. I was so excited, hanging out with all of my friends, taking pictures and celebrating four years of hard work! I felt so accomplished while walking in to the gym, hearing the strains of "Pomp and Circumstance." However, during a reading from the Bible, graduation really started to hit me. As one of my very good friends read, I began to feel my eyes start tearing up. Then, it happened: a couple small tears trickled down my face. I had put four years of hard work and care into my high school, and now I was leaving. I had put so much of myself into my school, only to leave. It's good to leave; it is an important step in my life. Next year, I cannot even imagine what God has in store! But all the while, there can be a bittersweet tinge to the joys of graduation. But even all the small sorrows--at having a large part of who I am be left behind--do not compare with the joy that is to come!

I really do believe that whenever I put myself--a lot of myself--into anything, it can be hard to let that go. High school--it is hard, but all the same, I have college to look forward to. The joy that is to come far outweighs the sorrows that I may experience from time to time now. I believe that the same holds true with relationships. When people put themselves--a lot of themselves, a large part of their identity--into relationships, a really beautiful thing can happen: an amazing friendship, which blossoms in the love of Christ.

But when that relationship had to end in its current state, and morph into a different form?

That process is not the easiest to go through. A large part of someone--actually, both people--has gone into this relationship; the identities of these people have been solidified through this friendship. A beautiful friendship, which brings both people closer to Christ. But God desires that people follow His will, wherever that leads them. And so, at times, relationships have to change. Perhaps they have to be discontinued, perhaps they have to change form. Still, in whatever case, the feelings left can be bittersweet. It can be hard to let go of something which a person had been such a large part of. It can be hard to let go of such a good friendship, such a good thing. And yet, it is necessary. It is necessary to let God take those friendships, those relationships, and use them to help people in their vocations. And when God is in control, the pain and sorrows--small and great--are only temporary. Those sorrows cannot even compare to the joy that is to be revealed! And while memories can be a great gift from God, to take pleasure in the joys that He has given, a life is not to be ruled by memories. Living in the memories of the previous state of a relationship, a friendship, is not healthy. God wants us to take the memories of friendships and relish them, but to move on. To discover His will in the present moment.

Life will not stop and go back to the way it was. Life keeps on moving, and we are expected to move with it, following Christ on the pathway to Heaven. So take the memories, embrace reality, and move onwards towards the life that Christ is calling us to.

No comments:

Post a Comment