Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Cup o' Tea

It's been a tad bit chilly in Steubenville lately (and I am not complaining-when you don't have A/C, cool weather is a blessing!), so this morning I curled up with some theology books and a cup of tea. As I sipped my mug of cozy Earl Grey tea, memories began to flood my mind-and I discovered that one of the reasons I love tea is the way in which it binds together different life experiences. 

As I drink tea, I recall all the times throughout high school where I would sip tea and talk with my mom in the kitchen. I think about the numerous soul-deep conversations I've had with different women over cups of tea, and of all the times that Jacob and I would drink tea on cold nights in the St. Thomas More dorm lobby as freshman. I remember when tea has been warmly comforting, and when tea has made me a bit crazy! I remember when my mom took me to a tea house as a present when I was a little six-year-old, and I recall going to a Formal tea at the Cathedral in Wichita several years ago. And, drinking my  tea this morning, I began to remember how I acquired this particular tin of tea: 

“You can never get a cup of tea large enough 

or a book long enough to suit me.”~C.S. Lewis

The summer before I came to FUS, I did something uncharacteristic and crazy. On an impulse and a nudge from God, I went on a trip to Europe with a secular tour company. The first part of the trip took us to London. I love London! It was so much fun to be there, and I had a great time. While in London, I went to the ever-posh Harrod's department store. Let it be known, though, I'm not a fancy person- I was inwardly laughing at the high irony that I was walking around Harrod's in thrift-store clothes while seeing people purchase shoes that cost several hundred pounds! While in a game section, I casually picked up a board game to look at the back-and the whole display of games toppled over onto the table! (the man working in the section was very nice about it, and claimed that he had knocked it over a few days earlier) Well, I high-tailed it out of that department, and ended up buying a package of tea. And, for some crazy reason, I've been able to not binge on my Earl Gray tea, so I still have a tiny bit of my London stash left! 

Well, that was a really random story, but I hope you enjoyed it. Basically, I love tea. I love how it tastes, I love it hot and cold, and I really love how it can bring people together. I love the joy it brings with the companionship of fellow tea-drinkers. I love the memories that join together, connected with this amazing beverage. 

May you always have walls for the winds, a roof for the rain, tea beside the fire, laughter to cheer you, those you love near you, and all your heart might desire. ~An Irish Blessing

No comments:

Post a Comment