Monday, July 21, 2014

Let's Princess Things Up a Bit

Friday night while Jacob was at a Melee tournament, I watched an old favorite movie of mine, which I haven't seen in forever--The Prince and Me. So, while my mind is in this whole "princess" realm, let's princess things up a bit!

Several years ago, my mom instituted a tradition called "Daughters of the King" (not to be confused with the international Christian
We are Daughters of the King! 
Order, "Daughters of the King,").  Basically, every Sunday afternoon when my dad and brothers would pile into the TV room to watch football together, us girls would put on our tiaras, eat chocolate, read princess books/Jane Austen, painted nails/anything else girly, and just enjoy being daughters of the King of Kings. It was a very cool activity that we would do together, and a great reminder that we are royalty! 

Yes, you. You are royalty. Yet how often do we remember this in our daily lives? It's so easy to let society/others' expectations/peer pressure/horrible events get us down, so that we feel controlled by the misery that surrounds us. But really, it doesn't have to be this way. God doesn't want us to walk with heads bowed in discouragement or low self-esteem. He is our King, and we are His children. He is obviously in control, so let us remember that!

In fact, St. Faustina--yes, the mystic nun--talks about this very thing!

"I am going forward through life amidst rainbows and storms, but with my head held high with pride, for I am a royal child. I feel that the blood of Jesus is circulating in my veins, and I Have put my trust in the great mercy of the Lord." (Notebook II, #992)


When I was a sophomore in high school, one of my religion teachers, this wonderful Filipino woman, talked about a cool habit: looking at yourself in the mirror each morning, and saying "Good morning, your majesty." What a cool way to start out each day--acknowledging that you are royalty! Seriously, I believe that many peoples' lives would be more joyful and purposeful if they did this.

Whether or not you wear a tiara (and I fully support the wearing of a tiara), you must never forget that--though the world may push you down for following the Gospel--you belong to the King who rules over all!

No comments:

Post a Comment