Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Do You Hear the Symphony?

I have to be straight-up honest with you: I don't know what has happened to my brain. (I'm going to blame it on excessive sugar and sleep deprivation) Yesterday, I was so excited that it was "the feast of St. John Vianney," and I was appalled that the priest did not celebrate him at Mass. Today, I woke up, prayed Morning Prayer for the dedication of St. Mary Major, and started writing this blog post. And then a quick Google search revealed that today is St. John Vianney, and tomorrow is St. Mary Major. So, um, happy feast of St. John Vianney!

Welp, I guess those cookies last night "for the feast day" still went to a good cause (ie: my stomach). 

Anyway, moving on to a less embarrassing topic...


Insects. 

For about the past week, the apartment complex where I live has taken on a new characteristic. All of a sudden, one day, the sound of cicadas filled the air. Now, every time I go out side, I hear them. And while some people may get irritated at this constant sound of tymbals vibrating, I really like it. Yesterday, the weather was a bit cooler, so I sat at a table outside with my notebook, to work on a few articles. Shaded by many beautiful trees, I was completely surrounded by the sound of cicadas.  Every cicada contributed to the overall song, and each of these insects brought unique audible beauty to this setting. I probably looked pretty strange to all of the other people at the complex who were sitting inside. I mean, how many people sit at tables while doing nothing? 

Despite how it may have looked, I wasn't doing nothing--I was listening to the symphony. Because there were a couple of times when I had to stop writing, just so I could sit there and listen. The song was so beautiful; it was a special gift from God which I was blessed to hear. These kinds of experiences truly show me how amazing God is. Not only did He create the whole world and the people in it, but He created insects like the cicada. And together, we can all glorify God. 
Let the earth bless the Lord,
praise and exalt him above all forever.
Mountains and hills, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever.
Everything growing on earth, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever.
You springs, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever.
Seas and rivers, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever.
You sea monsters and all water creatures, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever.
All you birds of the air, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever.
All you beasts, wild and tame, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever.
All you mortals, bless the Lord;
praise and exalt him above all forever.
~Dan 3:74-82
There are not cicadas everywhere I go, but nonetheless, do I take time to listen to the symphony of the world that surrounds me? Do I thank God for the gift of this musical beauty?



You may also be interested in:

And, because it's the celebration of St. John Vianney today (and mainly because I LOVE awesome saintly quotations!!!), here ya go!

No comments:

Post a Comment